Prev: Re: [OT] Lessons of History Next: Re: [OT] French was: [SG]Artillery

Re: [OT] French was: [SG]Artillery

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 18:41:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [OT] French was: [SG]Artillery

--- Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com> wrote:

> and in penny packets. Of course we know how long the
> defense of
> France in '39 lasted. What was it a week or two?

2 weeks less than did the defenses of Poland, a
country surrounded on every side but the north, with
an army less than a quarter the size of the French
one, with no medium or heavy tanks, a tiny and
outdated airforce, and the Russians invading from the
East.

Of course, the Poles had fighting spirit and that
counts for much more than heavy tanks and static
fortresses.

John

Prev: Re: [OT] Lessons of History Next: Re: [OT] French was: [SG]Artillery