Prev: RE: Re: Bugs, usted to be Wolfman's grav tank model Next: IJN Super Battleship

Re: [OT] French was: [SG]Artillery

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 19:16:46 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] French was: [SG]Artillery

At 10:13 PM +0200 5/27/02, K.H.Ranitzsch wrote:
>This could become another of those much-beloved OT discussions,
still...

The introduction of the US in WWI was what allowed the armistice to
be arrived at. The French didn't even come close to winning WWI.
Remember, Germany no longer had to worry abut Russia after a point.
WWI was not a resounding victory for France despite what ever she and
Britain said.

However, they learned lots of things before WWI. Use lots of men to
bull through defences and you will win by use of 'elan' and valor.
That didn't work in the trench warfare of WWI. Next they learned that
you invest lots of time and money in strong static defenses and build
really big tanks (Char2 Bis). Those tanks are to be used piecemeal
and in penny packets. Of course we know how long the defense of
France in '39 lasted. What was it a week or two?

>Plus, AFAIK, after 1940, the Free French forces fought quite decently.

After being equipped by US and British sources as well as having been
retrained by US and British Advisors.

Ryan Gill		  rmgill@mindspring.com
	 |	  |

Prev: RE: Re: Bugs, usted to be Wolfman's grav tank model Next: IJN Super Battleship