Prev: Re: [FT] Filling in a Gap...with PSB Next: Re: [SG] Artillery

Re: [OT]Episode II: I knew it! (Minor Spoiler and Some Ranting About The Actual Movie)

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@e...>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 16:35:28 -0700
Subject: Re: [OT]Episode II: I knew it! (Minor Spoiler and Some Ranting About The Actual Movie)

 From reading the WEG sourcebooks we see that there were already many
systems in rebellion and actually in the Alliance at the start of
Episode 4. It seems likely that many of the Seperatists were charter
members of the Alliance since Ep.4 is only about 20 years later (where's

Mon Mothma anyway ?). This is especially likely since the Seperatists
movement was put down by a decapitation strike and never actually rose
in open revolt.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what David Brin
(http://www.kithrup.com/brin/starwarsarticle.html) has to say about
Episode Two. He's posited that Yoda is at the core of events, and may
actually have arranged the whole saga in collusion with Anakin. There
are several points where Vader acts to aid and abet the rebellion before

ultimately killing the Emperor and defeating the Dark Side. It cost
billions of lives and decades of tyranny, but evil was defeated. On a
galactic scale, a few star systems is a small price to pay. In Episode
2, the clone army was commisioned by someone on the Jedi Council acting
under a false identity. Notice how Yoda just took off and collected the
clone army - and the fleet that transported it - and lead it into
battle. That had to have been his army. He set it up, he used it.Then he

gave it to Palpatine.

As poor a job as was done on Ep.2, the story makes sense. The political
arcs really started to come together. The Jango fett sequence did really

nice things for the mythos. But the movie was a visually brilliant story

with a very poor implementation. I sincerely believe that Lucasarts
released a rough edit. The editing was sloppy and used really rough
takes for 90% of the dialogue (Natalie Portman is a better actress than
that, hell Hayden Christensen has to be a better actor than that).This
just *has* to be the version they showed the test audiences.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they guy who did "The Phantom Edit"
does with this movie. And with access to the dailies you could do a much

better edit than what was released. The timing is poor. The pacing is
awful.The script is weak, and the direction was awful. I meant it about
Hayden and Natalie being better actors than that. Any competent director

should have been throwing a fit over deliveries like that. Either Lucas
didn't care, or he actually wanted them stilted and restrained. There's
some artictic merit to doing it that way, but I think you could have
developed some real chemistry between the two love struck kids based on
how the actors appeared to be holding back on emoting. Sad, really. This

could have been a fantastic movie, but it was executed poorly. I just
hope they have enough footage to do a better Special Edition. That would

be a truly special SE.

Donald Hosford wrote:

>Actually, the legistlation would still have been introduced by someone,
even
>if Jar Jar wasn't present.
>At that point, Darth Sideous had actual or political control of most of
the
>senators.
>I think at least a majority.  He would have someone do it.
>
>Jar Jar made a perfect candidate.  He is a general.  A war hero of his
>peaple.  A member of a supressed peaple.
>The supressors, "the trade federation" joined with Count Douku and the
>separatists.
>Having Jar Jar make the announcement gave the legistlation (and
Palpiteen) a