Prev: RE: [FT] New Weapon from Bryon Ash Next: RE: [FT] Phalon Fighters

RE: Big Games

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 09:52:10 +1000
Subject: RE: Big Games

G'day,

Allan wrote:
>> FMA, like SG2, is a fairly slow game. Ten figures per side
>> is about the maximum you can expect to use and still have a game
>> complete in two to three hours unless you strip things out.
>> I did a playtest with 6 figures per side...
>> It took about 90 minutes to playtest.

Jon replied:
> Really?  I thought that my relative unfamiliarity (and my
> players' total unfamiliarity)
> with the rules was what was slowing things down.

Personally I think it can depend on the players and how many of the
rules
you choose to include. For example, in the games we've played with 3
squads
on the board (so about 24 figs) we've seen everything from 15 minutes to
3
hours... it came down to the amount of gasbagging (or note taking) how
many
"option" rules were in play, and what you were being required to do (and
so
how careful you're being)

> FMA for the slightly more serious games, and use SF for the
> sillier ones,

I don't know in our list of FMA games we've included we've spanned "more
sensible" scenarios like
- 2 small military forces contact
- extraction
- strike on an outpost
- New Stalingrad
- amphibious landing
- boarding party
- local insurgents remove foreign armoury

but we've also played things like
- keep the flag
- black powder muskets vs AARs
- "greys" are coming to get you
- the skeletal horde has the princess in the tower and we must save her
(heroes with swords and magicians)
- pub brawl
- crap loads of bugs are overrunning our position
- big ugly monsters scrap to the death (ever wanted to know what happens
when a xenomorph runs into a trooper bug or a dragon?)
- cave clearing... oops was that a bug?
- pirate wars (swinging from the rigging)
- formula-one tanks
- dino hunts
- "action sequence" (think about all the corny movie things like chases
down
hills, crocs in ponds underneath slippery logs you've got to teeter
across,
the gapping chasm which you must cross by rope etc and then say "last
team
standing wins")
- drug baron raid
- gang wars
- we may well be illegally fishing/mining/etc etc... what you gonna do
about
it?
- 007 and the playgirl bunnies...

and a bunch of other ones the kids have come up with from time to time
(e.g.
animal wars... what would you do if you were a giraffe and a lion was
looking at you sideways?)

Cheers

Prev: RE: [FT] New Weapon from Bryon Ash Next: RE: [FT] Phalon Fighters