Prev: Re: MURPHY AT WAR Next: Re: WTF is FMA?

DS2 questions (or comments on OO's replies)

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 10:41:50 -0400
Subject: DS2 questions (or comments on OO's replies)

Oerjan replied to me (I've snipped a lot of his very useful reply):

Tomb wrote:

>>2) Why can't I design a conventional boat with CFE propulsion? (Or is
>>this just a CFE plant payed for as FGP?)

OO:

>I don't quite understand your problem here, since DS2 p. 13, "Riverine
>Craft Design" explicitly states that you can use "any" power plant type
for
>conventional boats. "Any" would appear to include CFE...

Tomb again:

Sorry OO. Based my opinion on this off of the behaviour of one of the
on-line DS2 vehicle creators. It wouldn't let me put anything but an FGP
in. I assumed it was a correct implementation.

Tomb:

>>7) Would there be any point to making a conventional boat also
>>amphibious?

OO:

>No. The DS2 "amphibious" modification can only be used by Tracked and
>Wheeled vehicles.

Tomb Again:

What about GEV/Grav? (They don't normally require it, but I'm thinking
of when they suffer a failure
that makes them immobile, I'd rather not sink if I was in one... just
float... wouldn't that be amphibious?)

Tomb:

>>9) What's the easiest way to do LCIs and LCTs?

OO:

>Using the "Riverine Craft Design" rules on p.13 and spending most or
all of
>their capacity on infantry or vehicle carrying capability.

Tomb again:
I'd imagine there would be a requirement for "oversize" to hall anything
larger than a single size 3
MBT. (Given to carry a vehicle you pay 8*size class and only have 5*size
class spaces....)

Tomb:
>>10) To get assault boats for your leg infantry, do you just buy an
>>amphibious mod?

OO:
>DS2 has no rules for inflatables, I'm afraid. Less man-portable assault

>boats are designed using the "Riverine Craft Design" rules.

Tomb Again:
Do you think adding the amphibious mod to infantry would be a suitable
costing to allow them to cross water as if it were poor terrain? (Small
boats, maybe a wee electric outboard or just paddles)

Tomb:
>>11) Someone had GMS/P stats posted for DS2 - anyone got an URL?

OO:
>Nope. IMO SG2's "GSM/P" category folds into the DS2 "IAVR" category
anyway
<shrug>

Tomb again:
I actually liked (at one point) your argument that GMS/P really wasn't
very likely (too little punch
and GMS/P and GMS/L not really being distinct enough). But, to address
the specific point you raise here,
if it is rolled into IAVR, it gets weaker. Why? In SG2, range is "across
the board". Assuming most boards
are 6-8' long, that's 720-960m at least. DS2 IAVR range is 400m IIRC.
Now, DS2 IAVR is probably more
dangerous to vehicles than an SG2 IAVR or GMS/P, but OTOH the vehicles
are more dangerous to the infantry
in perhaps an even greater measure.

Thanks for the input/advice Oerjan!

Tomb.

Prev: Re: MURPHY AT WAR Next: Re: WTF is FMA?