Prev: Re: Re: [FT] Battlecruisers vs. battleships Next: Re: Blakes 7 Ship Stats

Re: [FT] Battlecruisers vs. battleships

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 10:26:25 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: [FT] Battlecruisers vs. battleships

On Fri, 17 May 2002 08:06:01 +0200 "K.H.Ranitzsch"
<KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de> wrote:

> From: "Derek Fulton" <derekfulton@bigpond.com>

>> It is important to remember that before the outbreak of WWI, even
though the cannon used had ranges measured in miles it was expected
that the protagonists would approach to close range and batter each
other much like naval ships had done previously. Although the
capability was there, tradition and a view of "how it should be"
determined how people expected the navies to fight. <<

> Probably not just a matter of tradition. In the late 19th century,
gunnery ranges had far outgrown the capabilities of fire control
equipment. So you could shoot far, but were damn unlikely to hit
anything, certainly not something as small as a Battleship ;-) It was
only fairly recently before WWI that fire control had caught up and the
systems were not trusted by a lot of people. You know, unporven
technology, peace-time tests, boffins' wild ideas etc.

> Though the battle of Tsushima (1905) with gunnery at several
Kilometers distance should have been a warning. <

This could also have been part of why the Jutland BC's used those
dangerous gunnery practices like storing charges in turrets, leaving
flash doors open, etc. "Traditional" naval practice, reinforced in the
RN's case by past experience (albeit mostly back in the days of sail)
and the Fisher doctrine of speed and firepower over armour, stressed
the importance of maintaining a high rate of fire: opening and closing
all those doors and moving explosives around in a careful fashion
slowed things down.

The problem was that while it helped speed up the rate of fire, said
rate dropped to zero when the enemy hit back! For all the protective
value of armour, the offensive-defensive balance had changed in favour
of the former and getting hit even once could now destroy a ship --
unlike sailing ships, which were bl**dy hard to sink! Cripple or
capture, yes, but sinking took a lot more effort or luck, such as a
fire breaking out.

Phil
----
"If you let a smile be your umbrella... you'll get wet teeth!"
  -- a forgotten comedian, quoted by me: Phil Atcliffe

Prev: Re: Re: [FT] Battlecruisers vs. battleships Next: Re: Blakes 7 Ship Stats