Prev: Re: Re: [FT] Battlecruisers vs. battleships Next: Re: [FT] Battlecruisers vs. battleships

German lesson II: Kravak

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 07:54:06 +0200
Subject: German lesson II: Kravak

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tomb" <tomb@dreammechanics.com>

> Kafers (no umlaut for me...)

Just for info: the proper way to handle the Umlaut if you can't print
the
dots at the top is to add an 'e' after the vowel. Thus, Käfer becomes
Kaefer. The same thing for ö and ü -> oe and ue.

The reason is that the Umlaut is not just a variant sound. It carries
meaning and can be very confusing if not used. And it not only marks
variants of the same word (e.g.present and past tense or singular and
plural), but sometimes completely unrelated words differ only by an
Umlaut
(e.g Ware/wäre, Mähne/mahne)

> The other thing I recall from 2300 vividly... the Kafer name for
humans.
> Das Flieschessen (sp?) which they suggested translated as
"meat-being".

Das Fleischessen = Meat meal
or possibly
Das Fleischwesen = Meat being/organism

How come the 2300 author based their stuff on German ?

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: Re: [FT] Battlecruisers vs. battleships Next: Re: [FT] Battlecruisers vs. battleships