Prev: RE: [FT] fighter waves Next: Re: [DS] ISO images

Re: The Wolf-man's tank!

From: Tony Francis <tony@b...>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 08:53:24 +0100
Subject: Re: The Wolf-man's tank!

Randy W. Wolfmeyer wrote:

>Is it a bad idea to paint it before casting it?  Is it that the rubber
>will ruin the paint job, or will the paint ruin the casting?  Or is it
>both?
>
>Randy

It won't be too disastrous if the model is painted - we've taken moulds
from masters that have been painted. One possibility is that the paint
will adhere to the mould and come off as the master is pulled away.
Beyond ruining your paint job, it means that the first few castings
could come out with bits of paint stuck to them, which might mar the
finish. The very first resin mould we ever made was of a painted master
of a 1/300th church - that one stuck to the mould so well we had to
literally destroy it to get it out of the mould. Somewhere I still have
a little ziplock bag full of shards of plastic card and modelling clay.
Don't panic, though - this was an exception to the rule, all of the
others have been fine.

Tony

Prev: RE: [FT] fighter waves Next: Re: [DS] ISO images