Prev: Re: Hover Tank bumper sticker Next: Re: [DS2] Questions

Re: [OT] future military culture was: Hover Tank update

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 13:37:45 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] future military culture was: Hover Tank update

At 9:54 AM -0700 5/15/02, Brian Bilderback wrote:
>Flak Magnet wrote:
>
>>I can also see rounds that show themselves to be effective against the
>>"bug" swarms of lesser troops being painted up like cans of Raid or
>>Black Flag by troops slightly removed from the action with far too
much
>>time on their hands...
>
>A Black Flag as a decorative pennant was the first thing that came to
my mind.

	A lot of times pennants are identifiers on vehicles
indicating arms of service or which brigade they may belong to. Just
like the Arms of Service flashes and numbers on the right front wing
of many British vehicles in WWII, they've used different pennants to
indicate information in later years. In the case of some post war
British Armour Red over Blue would indicate Royal ARtillery and red
over blue over red would indicate Royal Engineers.

	Generally these were for parades and such, but given the
widespread proliferation of flashes on WWII vehicles and uniforms
despite orders to the contrary, they could appear in combat or in
rear areas.

	The WWII flashes were so detailed you could determine which
Battallion in a given type of division or regiment a vehicle belonged
to. Further details (Division/Corps, Squadron/company details) could
be gleaned from Divisional and Tactical signs.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: Hover Tank bumper sticker Next: Re: [DS2] Questions