Prev: Re: Death Star, Soap Bubble Carriers and FB Ships Next: Re: [OT] Who plays Harpoon, was Re: Fighters

Re: Fighters options please

From: Ray Forsythe <erf2@g...>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 22:44:58 -0400
Subject: Re: Fighters options please

B Lin wrote:

  > You then run into the problem when you have mixed fighters attacking
- The
  > attacker wouldn't be able to "shield" his one torpedo squadron with
3
  > regular fighter groups, since the defender would just fire all his
PDS,
  > mention that the torpedo fighters get killed first, then carry over
to the
  > regular fighters.

Well, I'd suggest either even distribution of the hits across the
attacking
squadrons, or alternating picking between defender and attacker.

  > Right now, he has to designate one or more PDS to the torpedoes and
may well
  >  go for over kill due to the potential damage that they can do, thus
  > allowing the 3 regulars to get in scott-free. Otherwise, the
defender is
  > splitting his PDS's and may not kill all of the torpedoes.	I think
the
  > current system promotes the use of mixed types of fighters on an
attack.

Well, if the hits are distributed equally to all attacking squadrons,
you still
need a mix of fighters to soak up the hits.  Ditto with alternating
picks.

  > With morale rules - it is possible for a partial squadron not to
make it in,
  >  giving some weight to the tactic of spreading your fire out to as
many
  > squadrons as possible and hoping that they fail their morale roll.
So
  > competely destroying entire squadrons reduces the effectiveness of
this
  > tactic.

+ >