Prev: Re: Fighters Next: Re: Fighters

RE: Re: Fighters

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 06:51:29 -0700
Subject: RE: Re: Fighters

>From: "laserlight@quixnet.net" <laserlight@quixnet.net>

>From:	KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de
> >There have even been various experiments with heavy bombers carrying
>fighters for their own defence. Technically feasible, but of dubious
>tactical value.
>
>Zeppelins with biplane fighters.  I don't know how well they worked,
>though.

Not sure, but KH may also have been referring to experiments by the USAF
in
the late 40's and the 50's involving release and recovery of a small
fighter
known as the Goblin (IIRC) which was specially designed for the mission,
and
later with a modified F-100.  The project was abandoned, but the bombers

(Mostly 52's) that were used in the experiments found their true calling
as
launch beds for the X series.

3B^2

Prev: Re: Fighters Next: Re: Fighters