Prev: Re: Fighters Next: RE: [SG] ESU Spentznaz

Re: FB designs & fighters (& strawmen)

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@y...>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 16:50:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: FB designs & fighters (& strawmen)

--- Eric Foley <stiltman@teleport.com> wrote:
... Both instances were quite catastrophic
> for the battlecruisers in question.
-----
Agreed, but more was involved than just speed.

> Now, it _is_ true that I have been accused (probably
> deservedly) of being a
> bit biased against high speed vessels.  And although
> I _do_ favor high speed
> for certain specialized ships that are supposed to
> perform specific
> functions, it is also true that I don't generally
> think that speed much
> higher than 3 or 4 is going to be that productive on
> a ship of the wall --
> my experience with such vessels in FT mirrors that
> of the real-life British
> ships.
-------
While the 'speed' cannot be directly tied to
'acceleration' which is the point of the Trial
by Combat game, one must wonder if the German
BCs could have evaded if they were doing close
to 40 kts.
In any case, the thrust is the point, The TbC
has a thrust that is 50 percent higher that the
standard FB1 'wall' ship and 300 percent higher
than the ESU SDN.   In space, without a speed limit,
a fast ship has a value that cannot really be denied
, at least in a campaign.

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience

Prev: Re: Fighters Next: RE: [SG] ESU Spentznaz