Prev: Re: fighters (shorter than the last rant) Next: Re: Blake's 7 BEAD SHIP

RE: interceptors

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 13:50:15 -0400
Subject: RE: interceptors

At 10:43 AM -0600 5/13/02, B Lin wrote:
>Going further - is the 12" range enough of an advantage, that the
>normal +1 to the die roll should be eliminated to keep the point
>cost the same.  And how much advantage is 12" attack range worth? An
>extra point per fighter?

Here's a question. How does that work? If the fighter is in 12" range
it makes an attack and can stand off or that is it's engagement range
and is moved closer in?

I'd almost like to see a dual mode interceptor. It'd give better
tactics an advantage. Specifically, if the interceptor engages from
stand off range, then it has a lower chance of hitting, but can stay
out of engagement range from the target (assuming it's not an
interceptor). Or it can close and fight with increased chances for
success and casualties.

>Perhaps the PSB for long-range anti-fighter weaponry might be a
>larger missile with pumped-x-ray lasers in multiple directions
>(similar in thought to the larger frag warheads of today's
>missiles), that is multi-staged - a big booster base for inital
>velocity, but is ballistic for most of the flight path but retains
>enough fuel in the upper stage for some last second maneuvering to
>get into effective range.

Perhaps a pod with terminally maneuvering submunitions?

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: fighters (shorter than the last rant) Next: Re: Blake's 7 BEAD SHIP