Prev: Re: Brian's fighter idea Next: Re: [SG] ESU Spentznaz

Re: [SG] ESU Spentznaz

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 17:01:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [SG] ESU Spentznaz

--- Roger Burton West <roger@firedrake.org> wrote:

> I've always been taught the spelling "Spetsnaz",
> with the understanding
> that it was short for SPETSialnaya NAZnacheniya,

I've never been too overly worried about spelling
since it's all in that Cyrillic gibberish anyway and
any transliteration of any language is approximate
(for proof, compare the tranliterations produced by
someone who learned Greek in a classroom with those
produced by a native speaker).

However, I'll stand corrected as far as the customary
usage.	:)

> I would generally expect Spetsnaz troops to be at
> the higher end of the
> quality scale - certainly not yellow or green, and
> probably more oranges
> than blues - depending on one's opinion of the ESU's
> ability to train
> and retain expert soldiers, of course!

Well, Oranges.	Reds would be truly rare due to the
length of training required.  For instance, it takes
nearly as long to go through the schools required to
produce a US Special Forces Soldier as a Russian (and
probably ESU as well) conscript's entire service
commitment.

John

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience

Prev: Re: Brian's fighter idea Next: Re: [SG] ESU Spentznaz