Prev: Re: interceptors Next: Re: [FT] back to fighters

RE: [FT] back to fighters

From: John Leary <john_t_leary@y...>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 13:12:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: [FT] back to fighters

--- Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.keme.co.uk> wrote:

> I KNOW I'm going to regret getting involved in this
> argument (er..."heated
> discussion") at this stage, but here goes
> nothing....
------
I will second that!

...For what
> it's worth, my intention behind fighter attacks has
> always leaned towards
> the "attack run and fire at close range" type of
> thing,
> The idea of a 6 mu" "range" for fighter attacks was
> never intended to be a
> stand-off range for their weapons, but the distance
> at which they would
> start to make their attack runs against the ship.
> Now, if you take the opposite tack and assume that
> fighter attacks consist
> of launching guided stand-off muntions (or firing
> beam weapons) at 6 mu
> range, then the "space is big" argument holds and
> there is no PSB reason
> why you can't have huge numbers of fighters could
> potentially attack
> simultaneously; but if you subscribe to the "attack
> run" idea then the
> space IMMEDIATELY AROUND the target ship actually
> ISN'T all that big
> anymore, and is going to get awfully crowded with
> lots of fighters zipping
> past each other, especially if they're arriving from
> different directions!!
> In this case, making fighters attack in "waves" (or
> even as individual
> groups), with PDS able to fire at each successive
> attack, becomes eminently
> reasonable under the PSB......
-------
The 'big/small' discussion is only valid if one
makes the assumption that it happens at the same time.
Turns are 'generally' reguarded to be 15 minutes,
so if an enguagement for a Ftr Sq takes 3 minutes
from start to finish, 5 Sq could attack a ship
through the same area.	 With coordination,
5 more Sq could attack thru another of the remaining
5 areas for a total of 10 Sq on each and every
ship.

An additional comment on the PDS, if one uses the
'how crowded' the area becomes for fighters, then
one would need to assign the firing areas for
the PDS systems.   To limit one system while leaving
the defence system in an unlimited format will
destroy the flavor of the game.

Bye for now,
John L.

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience

Prev: Re: interceptors Next: Re: [FT] back to fighters