Prev: GMS Next: Re: no more Geo-Hex with GZG?

other GMS types

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 14:19:00 -0400
Subject: other GMS types

Ryan said:
Active Radiating units would be CBR and
ADS that are active.
Everything else is too difficult. Command
posts would have
multiple emitters that are placed remote
from the CP as
would most other basic comms type units.

[Tomb] I don't believe this matches the
way CF EW units trained. They trained to
be highly mobile because the minute they
went active, they started the clock on
being located and destroyed. I believe
emission homing weapons were not
unlikely to destroy EW vehicles using mast-
jammers. Someone on the list who may
have worked on an EW jammer vehicle may
care to comment on my perception. I would
think GSR units might also be destroyable
this way.

GMS that resolves like Artiller for the
designated stuff.
Missile Launches, red force activates a unit,
blue force
designates and resolves attack. Given the
general type, this
would always be a GMS/H.

[Tomb] Today yes. It is quite possible to
envision a HARM GMS/P by 2183.

stopped with ADS/PDS would be hard. It's
still going to hit and it will be landing on
the top armor.

[Tomb] Another modern day assumption.
DS2 construction rules make top armour far
more effective than modern equivalents
(DS3 may allow you choice). Is there any
particular reason the 2183 missile may
target top as opposed to side or rear? Not
that I know of.

 Some design work
has been done on Kinetic energy guided
missiles. A
copperhead, Hellfire, or Maverick landing on
top of your
tank even with out a war head isn't going
to be good for the
tank.

[Tomb] This hinges on the 8/3/1 ratio of
top/side/rear armour (or something like it)
that OO quoted. This is NOT the case in
the DS2 construction system, which
suggests this threat has been analyzed and
responded to by 2183 by upgunned armour
on the off facings (as the ratio in DS2 is
N/N-1/N-1). Therefore, although such off-
angle attack missiles are useful, they are
not as big a threat as their modern
equivalent.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: GMS Next: Re: no more Geo-Hex with GZG?