Prev: Team Yankee Next: Re: [SG] GMS variants (NO ITS NOT MORE VACC-HEAD STUFF)

Re: [SG] GMS variants (NO ITS NOT MORE VACC-HEAD STUFF)

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 16:01:06 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG] GMS variants (NO ITS NOT MORE VACC-HEAD STUFF)

At 8:55 PM -0400 5/9/02, Tomb wrote:
>To briefly take our minds off the ceaseless fighter argument...
(*grin*)

>I was thinking about GMS systems and what they can and can't do in the
>Tuffleyverse, specifically in SG2.
>
>What we don't seem to have:
>
>- Laser designation (or the equivalent) for GMS/arty/DFO (though we do,
>oddly have figures)
>- Over-the-horizon (OTH) (or whatever you'd call something that can
>launch an attack out of LoS) capabilities
>- Active emission homing missiles (like a high-tech HARM)/artillery
>round/DFO load
>- Off board GMS (cruise missiles?)
>- Programmable attack GMS (to hit weaker sides of a vehicle such as top
>or rear)

You need to look at my Nasty weapons in Dirtside page....

http://www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/minis/ds2/dsnw.html

APERS/Behive rounds
Daisy Cutters
Flame Throwers
FAEs
Ripply bombing
Spooky/Spectre type gunships
Long Range GMS
Missile Air Defense
ARMs

>Now, me an Allan have been discussing some of these. I've taken a first
>poke at the Laser Designation part of things (trickier than it looks).
>But what about the other areas?
>
>OTH missiles would probably need the designation rules, though possibly
>not if they were real smart. They'd be launched with maybe a GPS
>targeting solution followed by having a homing head (to pick up
>'painted' targets) and maybe another stage of visual or signature based
>target ID in the even no designation was present.
>
>HARMs or the like could actively target any unit that had communicated
>(possibly) or any ACTIVE EW unit or unit using active sensor suites
>(GSR, etc). This would insert into the game a DARN good reason for EW
>units to consider being inactive, or moving around a lot.

Active Radiating units would be CBR and ADS that are active.
Everything else is too difficult. Command posts would have multiple
emitters that are placed remote from the CP as would most other basic
comms type units.

>Off-board GMS might appear as heavy rockets, but might be considerably
>more accurate. They also might have a multi-level targeting capability
-
>designator, signature/visual, GPS coords.

GMS that resolves like Artiller for the designated stuff. Missile
Launches, red force activates a unit, blue force designates and
resolves attack. Given the general type, this would always be a GMS/H.

>Programable attack GMS are probably quite feasible, but what kind of
PDS
>or other penalties should appear due to the altered attack profile, if
>any? Should the missile miss more often?

It'd be coming in like it's hair was on fire and on a ballistic path.
Once it's on its final arc, getting it stopped with ADS/PDS would be
hard. It's still going to hit and it will be landing on the top
armor. Some design work has been done on Kinetic energy guided
missiles. A copperhead, Hellfire, or Maverick landing on top of your

Prev: Team Yankee Next: Re: [SG] GMS variants (NO ITS NOT MORE VACC-HEAD STUFF)