Prev: Re: Fighters options please Next: RE: Fighters options please

RE: Fighters options please

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 13:56:56 -0600
Subject: RE: Fighters options please

It basically has the effect of making all fighters "Light" Torpedo
Fighters.

Currently torpedo fighters cost 36 per squadron, but each fighter has a
mini-torp that does as much damage as the die roll (no-re-roll on 6) but
misses on 1-3 (so a 4 would do 4 damage).  They have a slight
disadvantage dogfighting, hitting only on 6's. They are single shot
against ships.

By making standard fighters single-shot with normal dogfighting
capability, they effectively become light torpedo fighters doing less
damage to ships but able to intercept other fighters on a normal basis.

Perhaps one way to deal with huge swarms of fighters is to have the
"Escort Interceptor".  Bought in the standard groups of 6, each
interceptor must remain within 24" of the launching ship, but each
fighter can engage an enemy squadron.  One kill on 3-4, two kills on 5,
two kills and a re-roll on a 6.  The PSB reasoning for the 24" range is
that the command and control functions are based on the launching ship
and the fighters need to maintain close contact to maintain optimal
coverage. So 2 squadrons of Escort Interceptors would allow you to
engage up to 12 opposing squadrons.  This would allow you to burn up
opposing fighter endurance and inflict some casualties, for relatively
low cost.

The down-sides are that escort carriers can be picked off like the
dedicated PDS platforms, Escort Interceptors provide no anti-ship
offensive capability.  The mass issue of having a hangar keeps it from
being used in some of the smaller ships.

The upside is that if you play with morale and endurance rules, the
attacking fighters will burn off some endurance, may take casualties
which could cause a morale check which in turn would reduce the
effectiveness of the anti-ship attack.

--Binhan