Prev: RE: RE: Re: [FT] Fighters, - this time its not the balance argument! Next: Re: [FT] Single-shot Fighter combat

Re: Soap Bubble Carrier Prevention

From: Charles Taylor <nerik@m...>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 19:27:41 +0100
Subject: Re: Soap Bubble Carrier Prevention

In message <3cda115f.796b.0@webone.com.au>
	  "Alan E Brain"<aebrain@webone.com.au> wrote:

[snip a) & b)]

> c) Make PDS more deadly vs large numbers of fighters.
>
> One thing I've been thinking about is as follows:
>
> Only 1 PDS can fire at a single fighter group.
> Each PDS kills D6-1 fighters, or D6-3 heavy fighters.
> Any PDS that misses can fire again at a target that hasn't been fired
at yet.

[snip example]
> Note that if a single fighter group had attacked, only 1 PDS could
fire at it
> (so on average, it would only take 3 casualties, regardless of the
number of
> defences).
>
> This mechanic makes fighters *less* vulnerable when used in small
quantities
> vs targets with heavy defences, but *more* vulnerable to ships with
only
> 1 PDS.
>

> Anyone out there care to try making some PSB that will fit this
mechanic? And
> anyone care to try balancing KV Scatterguns the same way? Is D6-1 too
much?
> Should it be D6-2, and D6-4 for heavies, or still D6-3?

Well, 1D6-2 brings it in line with the Earthforce Sourcebook (which IIRC
didn't have heavy fighters).

A variant is to keep the PDS attack rolls as in FB1/2, but add you ruse
that a PDS that misses can attack another target, they'll do less kills
per attack, but as their chance of hitting is lower, they get more
attack opportunities.

Charles

Prev: RE: RE: Re: [FT] Fighters, - this time its not the balance argument! Next: Re: [FT] Single-shot Fighter combat