Prev: Re: Fighters options please Next: RE: Fighters options please

For Beth

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 02:35:42 -0400
Subject: For Beth

1. let PDS attack every squadron that
attacks.

1a. if so, adjust PDS to-hit *down* so ships
don't become
invincible

2. increase the points and mass up the
wazoo.
2a. Or tamper with requirements for
carriers, not fighters,
to avoid soap bubbles.
2b. Make a non-linear scaling for fighter
costs

> 3. let class-2 and above take pot shots at
any range
3a. Randy's Proposal: let bigger weapons shoot
at "coasting" (nonCEF expending) fighters
3b. Like 3a, only I think big weapons should be
limited to killing one fighter each, or if you want
to roll all the dice together, maybe they should
fire as PDS. (Less effect than dedicated PDS/B-
1, though at range)

4. adjust the effectiveness of PDS to close
to scatterpack

5. shoot whoever started the thread.
5a. Shoot those complaining about the thread,
since they were probably complaining about the
flamewars which were our previous situation....
<g>

6. reduce the endurance of fighters
6a. charge endurance for every turn
fighters are in flight,
not just combat and secondary moves
6b. charge endurance for:
	- evasive movement
	- secondary afterburn movement
	- dogfights
	NOT for coasting
	NOT for attacks IF you're already
paying for evasive movement that turn
This kind of goes with 3a or 3b.

7. Allow mixed tech (plasma, scatterpacks)
as a way of balancing fighters

8. Status Quo

9. Reduce Fighter attack damage to
perhaps equivalent to a PDS instead of a B1

10. Limit fighters attacking per ship to X
(6? some function of mass?)
10a. Limit fighters attacking per arc

Of course, there are probably mix and
match options, and some are probably
dependent on others. So you've probably
got at least 30 games to test various
feasible permutations... Fill Yer Boots!

I think in eyeballing these things, we want
to ensure:

If fighter points don't change:
It would be ideal if small fighter groups are
made a bit more useful, large fighter
swarms are made a bit less useful (or a lot
less useful all at once).

If the points values change, then there may
be no need to change any rules. Of course,
both may need to change.

It would a nice plus to introduce some
more tactical choices for the players (for
example coast/don't coast, which Multi-
Role packet to kit my fighter out with, etc).

It would be nice to make FB1 designs more
well balanced even against other FB1
designs.

New (well I think) thought:
Instead of wrangling over the fix/don't
fix/oh-my-god-carrier-are-useless
thinking.... why don't we think about it this
way - what do we want to model?

A) Carrier Ops like those in the modern day
- multi role fighters, carriers far apart
(probably off board) and the game is
defending against fighter strikes often with
massed fighters.

B) Standard game with carriers on the
board, standard ship types, one off play,
where we want fighters to be roughly point
costed correctly.

C) WW2 Carrier games where fighters and
bombers and whatnot were more
specialized (probably didn't change from
one role to another in 15 mins)

D) Anime where a fighter squadron can
take apart a small fleet...

By thinking in "model" or "genre" terms, we
could define a number of "rules mixes" and
costing modifiers. These could appear as
short entries in FB3/FT3/somewhere???
and thus let Ryan play his game, Eric play
his, me play mine, etc. The "standard
rules" would fit definition B above but there
isn't a really good reason not to at least
give the nod to other types of gaming
unless their is a space crunch. (no puns
intended)

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: Fighters options please Next: RE: Fighters options please