Prev: RE: Re: FB designs & fighters Next: [FT] & [list] Question

[FT] Fighters, - this time its not the balance argument!

From: Charles Taylor <nerik@m...>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 21:52:27 +0100
Subject: [FT] Fighters, - this time its not the balance argument!

Well, not the argument that's being argued at the moment...

I just have some 'niggles' about hanger costs and relative fighter
costs...

Ok, Take a standard fighter group, costs 18 points.
To carry it requires a hanger, 9 MASS and 27 points.

The hanger has a points cost 50% greater than the fighter group it holds
(not counting the MASS it takes up)

- but what use is the hanger without the fighters?

I think I'd like to see the cost distribution between the hanger & the
fighter groups re-distributed, say, reduce hanger cost to 9 points (1
per MASS), and add +18 points to the cost of a fighter group, - so if I
choose to take a ship (say a BDN), and leave its hanger empty, I'm not
penalising myself that much?

Likewise, perhaps the cost of a small craft hanger bays could be reduced
in a similar manner - or does this all open yet another huge can of
worms?

On a related subject - I'm not sure about the relative costs of the
different fighter types (multirole, interceptor, fast, attack,
etc.) either...

What I'd like to see, were it at all possible, is a 'fighter design
system' (possibly similar to Jared Noble's system, with a few
extensions), allowing the design of fighters with a range of speeds,
resilliancies and weapons capabilities, possibly including rules for
'small' fighter missiles. I'd also like some design rules for 'small
craft' bridging the gap between fighters (<= 1 MASS) and scoutships
(MASS 6+) and allowing the design of shuttlecraft etc. I've had some
ideas on this subject, but I have difficulties getting them to work.

Charles

Prev: RE: Re: FB designs & fighters Next: [FT] & [list] Question