Prev: RE: RAID! Next: Re: [OT] Explosives question

Re: [OT] Explosives question

From: Katie Lauren Lucas <katie@f...>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 08:52:06 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Explosives question

Quoting Beth.Fulton@csiro.au:

> G'day guys,
>
> Was watching some US Marines (either that or they were sailors in
> camo...
> which I doubted would be right) bomb check a bus this morning as I was
> going
> to work (US carrier is in town). They went over the thing with a fine
> tooth
> comb, but didn't check where the wheels sit (I've now seen this two
> days
> running). Why? Can't you sit an explosive there?

Of course you can.

Mind you, you can still get explosives past that sort of security if you
really
want to. Put them in the fuel tank. Put them in the wheels. Fill the
tyres with
plastic explosive. Yeah, the ride'll be rough, but on the bright side at
least
you know punctures aren't going to be a problem for that trip. Cover the

underside of the bus with 1/4 inch of plastic explosive, paint sealant
over it -
 how many of the marines prodded bits of the bus with bayonets to see if
they
feel like putty?.. Fill the side panels, the door panels...

The issue is more whether you can get sophisticated explosives or not.
IRA
fertiliser bombs are easy to find if you're looking for them because the
take
up a entire van. Open the back doors and all you can see is bomb.
Getting
enough plastic explosive to do that sort of damage is harder.

The security is, essentially, illusional. If you're going to cause
problems,
you can. It wouldn't take much[1]. They're looking to stop amateur
attacks.

[1] Screw getting bombs past base security, sit on top of a building
down the
road and snipe AT the base security then get in a fast car. (Or a slow
car
that's just like all the other cars). Terrorism is not about causing
harm per
se, it's about causing the FEAR of harm. Gunfire that nearly hits
someone is
just as effective..

_______
      Katie Lauren Lucas, Consultant Software Engineer, Parasol
Solutions
katie@fysh.org katie.lucas@parasolsolutions.com
http://www.parasolsolutions.com

Prev: RE: RAID! Next: Re: [OT] Explosives question