Prev: RE: Re: Fighters Next: Re: [FMA] Full Metal Azathoth (was Re: '20s Boats....)

Re: FB designs & fighters

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 17:16:02 -0400
Subject: Re: FB designs & fighters

At 10:36 PM +0200 5/7/02, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
>Ryan Gill wrote:
>
>>Really all that will happen as I understand it is that the
>>"effectiveness point" for fighters will be moved higher.
>
>The goal should not be to push the "effectiveness point" *higher*.
>The goal should be to transform that "effectiveness point" from the
>current sharp breakpoint between "ineffective" and "overwhelming" it
>is now, to a wide plateau.
>
>>So then explain to me why St Jon included fighters and carriers in
>>the game at all if they aren't realistic?
>
>Because Star Wars has fighters. Battlestar Galactica has fighters.
>Babylon 5, although it wasn't aired until well after FT was first
>published, has fighters. Lots of Anime has fighters. If you want to
>create a generic space combat game which can be used to game out
>battles in any of these backgrounds, that game has to have space
>fighters.

Ok, and under this new system the Death star never ever ever would
have been destroyed by three squadrons of small fighters because it's
200 PDS systems all would have been able to fire at every single
squadron with no consideration to anything.

And the two Cylon Carriers that the two main characters fooled into
hovering too close to the planet surface would never have hidden
because they were bluffed into thinking that 8 (or how ever many)
squadrons of fighters were on their way after them.

>However... all these shows have one thing in common: they're space
>opera. Science FICTION. Realism as we know it has very little to do
>with any of them.

And in these shows, lots of large ships that show up and spew lots of
fighters will rip you a new one if you are over matched. That's why
the Galactica was running.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: RE: Re: Fighters Next: Re: [FMA] Full Metal Azathoth (was Re: '20s Boats....)