Prev: Re: Sorry I Ever Mentioned Fighters Next: RE: Re: Fighters

Re: Fighters

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 12:46:23 -0500
Subject: Re: Fighters

On Tue, 7 May 2002 12:46:08 -0400, "laserlight@quixnet.net"
<laserlight@quixnet.net> wrote:

> That's only paying for the squadrons, not for the carrier.  If I've
scratched
> the back of the envelope correctly, you get 11 squadrons in a mass 142
ship
> (15 hull, MD2, FTL, nothing else) for 525 + 198 = 723NPV

That's true. It's possible to create a ship that's all PDS. It would
take out
the fighters. But then it's very susceptible to pretty much everything
else.
If you add a cruiser escort to the carrier, the cruiser will plink away
at the
PDS ship until it's safe to send in the fighters. Boring game, but the
carrier
will win every time. If the PDS platform adds a cruiser to help defend
itself,
the fighters take it out.

Now, here's a problem. If you change PDS so that it can take attack all
fighter squadrons against it, are you swinging the game too far the
other way?
20 PDS, for instance, costs 60 points and 20 mass. If 20 fighter
squadrons
attack, that's 20 times 20 attacks by the PDS. Bye bye fighters.
Wouldn't
custom designed ships just pack on a whole bunch of PDS this way and
defeat
fighters totally, just as lots of fighters defeat any ship totally?

I'm beginning to think this problem can't be solved. Changing the PDS
rules
might make the fleet book ships viable against custom designs with lots
of
fighters, but would it also kill fighters totally in custom designed
battles?
This would move things from, "Lots of fighters are the only way to go in
custom games," to "Don't waste any money buying a fighter in a custom
game".

The proper solution may be a campaign system...

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"

Prev: Re: Sorry I Ever Mentioned Fighters Next: RE: Re: Fighters