Prev: Re: wandering [OT] [was: B5 Ship Figures] Next: Re: wandering [OT] [was: B5 Ship Figures]

[SG] The great stargrunt Q&A project

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 16:24:26 -0400
Subject: [SG] The great stargrunt Q&A project

Okay folks,

After yakking to Allan G. for a protracted while regarding errata,
corrigenda, clarifications, and new rulings to fill gaps in SG2, I've
decided to undertake a project.

Here lies my cunning plan:

To have anyone with a particular question about how a particular
stargrunt rule works (ie something they don't understand, or that
doesn't seem to be completely covered, or that seems ambigious or
contradictory) mail me at tomb@stargrunt.ca (make sure to include
[SG2QA] as a tag in the subject line) and explain what confuses them or
what they don't understand or think is missing.

I'll compile these, then discuss them with a few other folks like myself
who have played/run a lot of SG2, and try to come up with a streamlined
and abridged list of problem areas, ambiguities, and missing rules.

The end result will be a one-time list that I intend to convince Jon T
(with a little nudging) to take a brief look over (I hope - maybe I'll
have to submit it in the comments field on the GZG store with my next
order....).

The idea will be to illuminate areas where things may have been missed
or ommited from print (which should go in the expanded errata), to
highlight areas that are poorly worded or contradictory (to get some
sense of what the designer intended), and to bring up things which are
incompletely discussed. Ideally, before submitting this to Jon, I'll
have a list of suggested fixes/interpretations from the collected list
wisdom so his input can be as simple as "yep, that's what I meant" or
"of the two options, I meant B" or "I hadn't thought of that, but that's
a reasonable answer". Or "I intentionally left that out". Or "Sod
off....".

For us gamers, it would serve a purpose: It would illuminate what the
designer had in mind (or might currently think) about these various
trouble areas and let us know if some things were intentionally omitted
as I suspect.

For Jon, it would help to illuminate the areas that need work in SG3 or
clarification in BDS or the Scenario Book (a good place to put
clarifications or patches) and would perhaps allow us to put some
answers in print somewhere so he needn't answer them again for each
individual player. He can't possibly hope to run a constant Q&A but I'm
hoping a short list that includes *solutions* as well as problems might
be something he does have time to give at least passing comment to.

My idea is not to hold Jon up for ex cathedra [OFFICIAL] answers to
problems as much as it is to get him to look over some of the problems,
the solutions, and expose a little bit of the designer's thinking behind
some of the rules inclusions/exclusions. I really don't want this to be
something that takes him a bunch of time to read or comment on, but even
half an hour of his time might help out some of us on the outside to
understand where he was going in a couple of cases.

The results (if any) will appear in geologic timescale upon
www.stargrunt.ca .

The current crop of candidates for a look-by include:
1) EW (some apparent omitted detail here)
2) Support Weapons (what you can and can't fire in what combinations)
3) Splitting Squad Fire
4) Vehicle Bail Outs (can you opt not to? What happens?) from Disabled
Vehicles

So, any questions or areas of confusion, e-mail me at the address
mentioned.

Thanks for your participation,
Tomb

Prev: Re: wandering [OT] [was: B5 Ship Figures] Next: Re: wandering [OT] [was: B5 Ship Figures]