Prev: Re: Non Fighter Post Next: Re: Its Doctrine, Scouting and Tactics not Fighters

re: RE: [FT] Fighters

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 12:34:46 -0400
Subject: re: RE: [FT] Fighters

At 12:22 PM -0400 5/6/02, David Reeves wrote:
>  >>>>>>>>>>

>Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 16:56:26 +1000
>From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@dva.gov.au>
>Subject: RE: [FT] Fighters
>
>[snip]
>
>Fighter dogfights already work like this.
>Torp/Attack: 6 = 1 kill + reroll.
>Standard fighters / PDS: 4-5= 1 kill, 6 = 2 kills + reroll.
>Interceptors: 3-4 = 1 kill, 5 = 2 kills, 6 = 2 kills + reroll.
>
>If you haven't been using this mechanic, then no wonder you think
fighters
>are overpowered.
>
>  > Having a half-range B1 that can't be killed beyond 6" away, and
can't be
>>  killed unless it's actually attacking you, sucks royally.
>Simply house rule it that any fighters in range can be attacked by PDS.
>ADFC is still useful, as it extends your effective PDS range by 6" to
help
>other ships.

I would give PDS a range of 3" just like the fighters for targets of
opportunity.

ADFC would be able to reach out and touch. This would give 2 layers
of air defense that is not unlike the 5"/38 - 40mm - 20mm layers that
the US used for WWII. It gave good service. But you had to position
your ships in the right place. Additionally, where did the newer
faster warships with lots of AA guns go? Next to the carriers. The
slower BBs were refitted, rebuilt (after Dec 7) and re-armed to the
newer spec of lots of 40mm and 20mm AA guns.

><<<<<<<<<<
>
>[ momentarily surfacing from B5 FT rules writing & playtesting... ]
>
>we also use the rule that PDS may fire at *any* fighter.  we also
>reduced a fighters weapons range to 3".  the rest is fleet tactics.
>
>if larger ships are screened by escorts, now fighters must "run the
>gauntlet" to get a shot at a big, juicy target.  to counter this,
>stripping escorts out of the enemy formation become more of a
>priority.  fighter CAP also has more importance as well.  try this
>and see what it does for your group.  the changes are not huge, but
>our group like the new results and feel.

Ooh. Look Tactics. Gosh some people won't like that...

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: Non Fighter Post Next: Re: Its Doctrine, Scouting and Tactics not Fighters