Prev: Re: [Painting] Windows Next: Re: [FT] Fighters

DLD's latest conniving plan....

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 03:56:13 -0400
Subject: DLD's latest conniving plan....

... to separate me from my paycheck.....

Okay David, here's what I'd like to see, while
we're wishlisting:

1) Engineering vehicles. You might have a chat
offline with Mr. Atkinson. He and I talked about
a number of interesting futuristic engineering
vehicle options and he had some very informed
(to my mind) thoughts on the matter. He
contributed greatly to my understanding of the
varied roles such vehicles might need to handle
and hence how they should be put together. PS
- I'm still hoping someone takes up the idea of
moulding some PAE (Powered Armour,
Engineering). Like standard PA, but with some
additional fittings/fixtures. I'd like to see
something with a demolition gun, a mine
plow/flail, and maybe some sort of CLC
launcher. I'd also love to see some sort of
hover or ground truck and trailer with a bunch
of configurable modules - mine flingers, wire
spoolers, systems to lay wire and stake it, etc.

2) Comms/EW version of the Kamodo based off
the TOC frame. All you need do is create a new
top plate and a retractile jammer/interceptor
mast.

3) A _nice_looking_ conventional howitzer.
Some sort of long barreled gun mounted either
turreted or fixed on various chassis types. I do
NOT like the look of any howitzer carriers I have
yet seen.

4) MRLS - GZG does a passable one for the
Hover and Wheeled worlds. This wouldn't be at
the top of my list, on account of I already have
some and they'll do for how often they show up.

5) ADA - Both a large tracked/hover/grav
chassis with a multi-chaingun turret (maybe
which also has a missile system on it or as an
alternate turret) and a smaller hover
jeep/conventional jeep version that models off
the Stinger POST. Maybe even a mod of "new
not-yet-released mystery vehicle" where the
rear section becomes an AAGMS system, that
would capitalize on existing parts. Light ADA like
the Stinger POST and similar are probably as
likely to be deployed with airmobile forces as
anything.

6) Grav MICV to match the Civet and a
Couger/Bison/LAV like wheeled MICV (an ARV in
this type would also work). The Kamodo has a
French VAB or German Luchs feel to it, but
something with a sharply angled nose and a
turret packing a chaingun and GMS would be a
great piece too. You could probably use some
of the parts (wheels etc) that you already have,
though the hull would have to change. Actually,
if you moulded carefully, you could make the
turret ring on this LAV/Bison like vehicle the
same size as the HFS, then you suddenly have a
drop-on conversion to the Kamodo line. (This is
very similar to how M113s and other vehicles
can be upgunned by drop in turrets, even some
from other vehicles!).

7) M901 or similar raised mast GMS based TD.

8) An unarmoured (mostly) 3 man FAV wheeled
like that used by Spec Forces - 2 down in front,
one up on a turret in the back. LMG and HMG
or AC.

9) A good tracked MICF/AIFV. No-one makes a
good 25mm Bradley type vehicle that I've
found.

10) A VTOL - the new Osprey successor QTR.
(Quad Tilt-Rotor - two sets of wings, front and
back, four motors). I've seen the concept
vehicle design - very cool looking. Don't know if
it can keep from falling out of the air, but it
makes a great SF looking troop transport and
support gunship (esp if you made one with
weapons add ons).

11) Some Rigid Hull boats with Inflatable Collars
(the new navy fast picket boats and harbour
control). With a Kevlar collar, these things are
fast, good for small unit games, and could
easily show up in SG games where the game
has a coastal or brownwater (river) component.
Stuart Murray used 15mm Vietnam era PBRs
and Monitors to great effect in Cinegrunt, and
I'm convinced that one of these with an AGL or
an AC and an MG or two and a place to stand a
few figures would be an awesome add on.

12) This is an odd one but: Tents! I got some
reasonable vacc-form pup tents from KR, but
they're fragile. I'd rather have 2-4 piece resin
puptents, and I'd like to see a model of the
larger style military tents. It's hard to build a
proper firebase/encampment without them (I
have all the armourcast bunkers/sandbag
emplacements I need thanks). It'd be easy to
make sectional, so they could be made out of a
few quick sections and have the same thickness
as the top or bottom of the Kamodo. Then a
couple of seams, and presto, sturdy tents! Pup
tents are fine, but I'd like to have tents that
could be setup as a MASH unit, as a BN HQ,
etc.

That ought to keep you busy. :)

Tomb

PS - Richard Bell, in your discussion of remote
control fighters, you forgot to account for short
range quantum-comms - FTL, but on a short
range basis. This kind of tech (which seems not
unlikely given current developments) would let
you fly a fighter by remote in real-time. (Now,
I'm not even sure I understand this enough to
know if it can be jammed, so that is one
counterargument).
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: [Painting] Windows Next: Re: [FT] Fighters