Prev: Re: [FT] Fighters - some thoughts Next: Re: Fighters

RE: Re: Fighters

From: Charles Taylor <nerik@m...>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2002 21:09:03 +0100
Subject: RE: Re: Fighters

In message <Pine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1020504001023.4807B-100000@vtn1>
	  Brian Burger <yh728@victoria.tc.ca> wrote:

> I'm afraid I'm pretty much in the "Fighters as written Are Too
Powerful"
> camp.
>
> For starters, they cost (SWAG here) about half what they're worth, for
the
> stock rules. Maybe not half, but they're way underpriced right now.
>
> Either double the price, or redo the fighter weapon systems as PDS -
kill
> 1 fighter on a 4,5; 2 on 6; do one point of damage to a ship on a 6.
Let
> interceptors kill 1 fighter w/ 4; 2 on 5,6; no damage possible to
ships.
> Leave the torp fighters as is - they're balanced. This has the
advantage
> of making the fighter & anti-fighter weapons use the same mechanic.
(KISS
> principle)
>
> Having a half-range B1 that can't be killed beyond 6" away, and can't
be
> killed unless it's actually attacking you, sucks royally.
>
> I'm talking FB-stock ships/fleets here, not custom oddness. I'll grant
> that you can balance fighters with custom ship designs with all the
costs
> as they are, but with the FB ships as they are fighters are too cheap.
>
> Lots of personal preference here, of course. Using historical naval
> examples, I'm much more likely to play 1915 High Seas Fleet vs
Germans, or
> Hunt the Bismark than Midway. Having your real ships just lie there
and be
> swarmed by fighters has always struck me - historically and in FT - as
an
> incredibly boring game. There are, basically, no tactics beyond the
> ship-design stage if you play FT this way. Real ships can't outrun
> fighters and get creamed by massive swarms when caught. Why bother
putting
> the figures on the table in the first place?
>
> My $0.02,
>
> Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -
> - http://wind.prohosting.com/~warbard/games.html -

I've had similar thoughts, but motivated more by feelings of style and
PSB than game balance - at first glance, a standard fighter does the
same damage as a class-1 beam battery
_that_is_at_least_as_big_as_the_fighter_, abet with half the range -
although the disparity becomes less when the fact that the fighter can
only attack a limited number of times without re-arming is taken into
consideration.

Although I'd still like something similar to what you proposed...my
version wasn't quite as drastic:

multirole fighter - as written vs. fighters, does 1 DP on a 5+ vs. ships
(6s re-rolled), level-1 screen reduces this to 1 DP on a 6, and level-2
screens negate the re-roll.

Interceptors & torpedo fighters are unchanged

Attack fighters are as written vs. fighters, but do 1 standard beam die
vs. ships.

Some time ago I did suggest a fairly radical simplification to Full
Thrust fighters, one that, to a certain extent, harked back to the
original FT 2 rules

Simplified Fighter Rules

Fighters move _after_ ships (remove phase 3 from the FB 2 turn sequence,
fighters move during Phase 6)

Fighters do not need to check morale

Fighters can make _one_ and only _one_ effective attack (they
effectively have one CEF)

Long-Range and Fast fighters become synonymous.

Fighters do not make secondary moves.

Fighters that are attacked after making their attack are treated as if
they had exhausted their CEF

Another idea is again to have fighters move _after_ ships, but moving
like ships, but without written orders - I'm sure someone out there has
tried this - how did it work?

Charles

Prev: Re: [FT] Fighters - some thoughts Next: Re: Fighters