Prev: Having fun. . . Next: Re: [OT]Stupid question about sloped armour

Re: [OT]Stupid question about sloped armour

From: Richard and Emily Bell <rlbell@s...>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2002 23:49:44 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT]Stupid question about sloped armour

Edward Lipsett wrote:

> I think what he was saying (putting words in his mouth) was that at an
angle
> you have to cover a lot of area with a sloped plate. If you take the
same
> volume (not area, volume!) of steel, you can make a very thick front
plate
> standing vertically.
> Your point remains true, of course.

I think an advantage may be that the sloped plate does double duty.  Not
only
does it protect things behind it, things underneath it are also
protected.
Sloping allows more volume to be protected by the same area of armor.
Spheres
are best, but we are only considering ground vehicles that are primarily
armored
against weapons that will not strike the top or bottom (although that is

Prev: Having fun. . . Next: Re: [OT]Stupid question about sloped armour