Prev: Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity Next: RE: Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity

Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity

From: Flak Magnet <flakmagnet@t...>
Date: 03 May 2002 09:00:05 -0400
Subject: Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity

On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 16:33, KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:
> Doesn't really feel rihgt. Thikning from a cinematic point of view
(no,
> not cinematic movement, rather the cinema effect) with a dash of real
> air fighter tactics. fighters would be making firing passes across the
> ship, front to rear or from side to side. So keeping them in one arc
is
> "unrealistic" anyway. Arguning further, it generally is easier to
> attack either the front or the rear of a plane - mainly because of the
> difficulty of deflection shooting.

Items lacking from the gunnery equation is space is air drag on the
projectiles (especially if they're energy beams) and gravity's effect on
the trajectory...  Making deflection shooting less of an issue as far as
aiming (I think).  What gets added to the issue of deflection shooting
in space is armor and shields... aircraft can't have armored hulls like
a spacecraft can so hitting at an angle to the armor increases the
armor's effectiveness (re: sloped armor).

Basically, I guess the relative effectiveness of deflection shooting vs.
head-on and whether or not fighters attack like airplanes or not is a
PSB and therefore up to player's preference.  (eg - Somewhat pointless
to debate) which you pretty much state below...

--

--Flak Magnet
Hive Fleet Jaegernaught

Prev: Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity Next: RE: Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity