Prev: Re: AMERICA, RIGHT OR WRONG? Next: Re: [OT]Not-Stupid question about sloped armour

Re: [OT]Stupid question about sloped armour

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 02:50:34 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [OT]Stupid question about sloped armour

     /		|
   /		| 1M
  /		|
 / 30 degrees	|
 ----------------

<Sleepy Math mode>

I have a 10cm thick plate I am using for armour.  I need to
cover a 1M^2 area.  If I slope it 30 degrees my plate needs
to be .1M X 1M X 2M.  That means I have  volume of 0.2M^3.
However, if I double up the piece and stick it straight
up it is .2M X 1M X 1M, or a volume 0.2M^3.  Incidently
my sloped armour is affectively 20cm thick for a straight
on shot.  My vertical armour is 20cm thick for a straight
on shot and even thicker for a shot coming in at an
angle.

The volume arguement doesn't get it either.  I have to extend
the bottom to get the same volume as I would have with
vertical armour, my vehicle masses more for the same volume.

It must be the glancing that makes it worthwhile, but we get
sleight of hand advertising such as the one posted earlier,
http://members.surfeu.fi/stefan.allen/strf9040.html, that tries
to say you get something for nothing.

Roger Books

Prev: Re: AMERICA, RIGHT OR WRONG? Next: Re: [OT]Not-Stupid question about sloped armour