Prev: RE: Gunmetal Paint Next: RE: Steel Warriors

[OT] more trek trivia

From: Derek Fulton <derekfulton@b...>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:02:38 +1000
Subject: [OT] more trek trivia

At 09:45  29/04/02 +0100, Adam wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 08:35:19 -0400
> > From: "Robert Minadeo" <raminad@earthlink.net>
> > Subject: Re: Andromeda and Salute figures
> >
> > OTOH I remember STNG being touted as Rodenberry's vision
> > uncorrupted by
> > network suits. Hence Wesley Crusher, a character Rodenberry
> > wanted in the
> > original but was not allowed to include. Also Rodenberry's
> > Federation was
> > very averse to violence. It was apparently only at the
> > behest of the network
> > suits that ST had so many fight scenes.
>

>That would imply that the Suits improved TOS.
>
>Since by definition involvement of suits is bad for SF [CF Series 4-5
>of B5, Crusade etc] It can't be true :) Can it?

Trek trivia: When Rodenberry first pitched Star Trek to the "suits"
cowboy
westerns were the big thing on American TV. Rodenberry used the pitch of
"wagon train to the stars" to sell the show. The "suits" after seeing
the
initial pilot (The cage) felt a little duped (it was "too cerebral" )
but
the still liked the idea enough to commission a second pilot (Where no
one
has gone before) which ended in the "bare knuckle fist fight" the
"suits"
wanted.

Cheers

Derek

Derek Fulton
12 Balaka st.
Rosny, Hobart.
Tasmania,  7018.
Australia

Phone; (03) 62459123
Mobile; 0438459123
Email; derekfulton@bigpond.com

Prev: RE: Gunmetal Paint Next: RE: Steel Warriors