Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT] Re: Geo-Hex and GZG Next: [misc] More website updates

Re: Back from SALUTE and bye bye

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 23:01:18 +0100
Subject: Re: Back from SALUTE and bye bye

>Well I'm back from SALUTE and a reflection of how
>ill I was can be put simply by the fact I never bought anything!!!
>
>I did get to meet Tony, Phil and Steve of Brigade models and
>pick up samples of the latest bug miniatures.
>Cheers guys and sorry for the less than lively zombie appearance :)
>
>Now I am planning to unsubscribe from this list, I've been on it for
>nearly four years now but the list no longer provides me with the
>reasons I first joined it.
>I know it is in poor taste to dissmiss something and then do a runner
>but my e-mail address is at the bottom if people want to talk to me.
>
>I think the list has become a bit of a dinosaur in it's discussion
topics
>(partly through a lack of new products 'sorry Jon').
>I think it is a poor advertisement and recruitment tool for GZG
products
>due to the constant personal opinions that rage on, sometimes to the
loss
>of a list member.
>I won't even go into the complete lack of Sci-Fi discussions compared
with
>present political of military ones.
>
>I have enjoyed some of the topics and the list did encourage me to
produce
>a website for my gaming bits and bobs.
>So thank you for that.
>And thank you to Jon for the products he produces and to say maybe a
good
>plan would
>be to have an announcement only list for new products a bit like
Brigade
>Models does.
>Unless you already have one?
>
>Cheers guys and I'll see you around.

Sorry to lose you after all this time, Jeremey....

Yes, many of the main list discussions HAVE been wandering recently, and
yes, we do have some "colourful characters with strong opinions" (did I
put
that tactfully enough....?).
A couple of things that must be remembered about the gzg-l list are (1)
that this is basically an unmoderated list (actually it's fairly
self-moderating, as when someone steps TOO far out of line they usually
get
slapped down by other listers, at least till the next time), and people
talk about what they want to talk about;  and (2) this is NOT an
"official"
GZG list -  I don't run it, and apart from the occasional [OFFICIAL]
announcements for general interest I have no more say in it than any
other
list member.... (and am just as liable to get shouted down if I say
anything too far off target!).

Ultimately, the signal-to-noise ratio of the list depends on members
posting interesting on-topic stuff for discussion; that seems to
fluctuate
a good deal, and recently has definitely been at a low point.

I think that Paul (Owen) does have some kind of email notification list
advise of updates to the online catalogue - Paul, is that right? If not,
can we start one?

Jon (GZG)