Prev: Re: [SG2] close combat Next: RE: [SG] Close Assault

Re: [SG2] close combat

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:30:11 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] close combat

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:02:39 -0700, Michael Llaneza
<maserati@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I'd consider the casualties as being out of the selection pool. They're

>down, not moving and not doing anything to draw fire. Now if someone
>starts lobbing explosives, then everyone is at risk.

The rules are unclear as to whether past casualties should be included
in the
possible figures taking wounds. I've always played that they can. If
you've
seen _Saving Private Ryan_, there's the scene where they are treating a
wounded guy on the beach and he takes a shot in the head. That, to me,
suggests that the wounded should still be able to take casualties.

On the other hand, there's the question of what to do about figures
under hard
cover that blocks line of sight. Say you have a squad behind a wall. The
squad
should be able to stay behind that wall and out of line of fire. The
rules
don't specifically say you can or you can't. It is implied that a squad
behind
a wall can still take direct fire. I've seen house rules, though, that
allow a
squad to be totally protected in this case (usually using something like
"Down" counter, and taking an action to add it or remove it).

It makes sense, in this case, that a wounded figure would not be left
propped
up, exposed to fire. The figure would be laid down and out of LOS. So,
in this
case I could see casualties not being among those that can take wounds
due to
incoming fire.

However, this now requires a judgement call. Some folks will argue some
cover
should allow this, while others would argue that the same cover does
not.

My feeling is that a turn is nominally about 5 minutes, and 1" = 10
metres.
Therefore a squad behind a wall isn't necessarily behind a wall (they
could be
approaching the wall, backing away from it, moving along it, etc.) when
they
take fire. For that matter, a wall may not even be a single continuous
wall
but several walls, or a wall with broken parts. Likewise, a wounded guy
may
not be lying there. He could be lifted on the back of a squaddie in
preparation for moving when he's shot.

So, I allow casualties, but not the dead, to take wounds. I don't let
figures
go "down" behind obstacles. If they want additional protection, they
should go
In Position. More detail as to what's happening in a squad at any given
time
would best be handled by playing FMA.

One thing I did notice: the rules state, "It is perfectly acceptable for
one
figure to take two (or more) hits using this method; if any figure takes
two
or more WOUND hits in one fire resolution he is considered DEAD." I've
been
playing it that any wounded guy who takes a second wound at any time is
considered dead. It appears that he should still just be considered
"wounded".
This is an interesting take on things, as most players I know want
wounded
guys to be killed (they are less of a burden that way! *L*).

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"

Prev: Re: [SG2] close combat Next: RE: [SG] Close Assault