Prev: Re: Source of 10mm Vehicles for SG2? Next: Andromeda

[SG] Close Assault

From: "Tomb" <tomb@d...>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:18:19 -0400
Subject: [SG] Close Assault

Laserlight the Scalist Heretic said:

one of the flaws of SG close combat has been that if you have a
higher-quality trooper who rolls well, even if he's outnumbered 10 to
1, lower quality troops can't beat him.  Example: a Veteran trooper
rolls a d10, result 9--a gang of Regular and Green troops, rolling d8
and d6, can't win.  It has been suggested that you can shift the
outnumbered character's die down for additional opponents, but that
doesn't seem entirely satisfactory.
So I suggest that the outnumbered character roll against *each*
opponent in succession rather than make one roll for all of them. An
elite d12 warrior fighting d4 thugs will still probably win even if
outnumbered, but it's not as certain--or as unrealistic--as it is
currently

[Tomb] The rules I proposed on stargrunt.ca were just that - a downshift
of the defenders die. Why? Rolling each set independently seemed like
too much die rolling. You end up rolling N dice for the defender who is
fighting N attackers. It will produce the more likely results of
applying mass, but it also has no limit. My system of downshifting rates
odds of greater than 3:1 as not terribly relevant (argument: There
really are only so many guys who can get in a good position to apply
fire/grenades on one target during a close assault). But your suggestion
certainly is viable, if you like the die rolling, and definitely better
than the vanilla rules.

PS - I've added Karl Heinz to the Scalist Heresy Inquisitor's List too.

Prev: Re: Source of 10mm Vehicles for SG2? Next: Andromeda