Prev: RE: [OT] ISO Phil Pournelle Next: RP Trees was Re: [OT] Sea Leopard

Re: [OT] Sea Leopard

From: "Alan E Brain"<aebrain@w...>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:52:38 +1000
Subject: Re: [OT] Sea Leopard

>>Tremble in fear, Chi-ha, tremble in fear...
>
>Ummm.... is this an Aussie thing, or am I going to get ridiculed by
everyone

>for not getting the reference?

The type 97 (ie vintage 1937) Chi-Ha and the improved new turret version
Shinhoto

 Chi-Ha was the best tank in widescale production the Japanese had in
WW2. On
good day, it was nearly as good as an M3 Stuart, which is to say, not
very.

See
http://www.wlhoward.com/japan.htm
or
http://users.swing.be/tanks/edito/japonais.htm
for japanese tanks.

Chi Ha
http://users.swing.be/tanks/engins2/244.html

Shinhoto ie "New Turret" Chi Ha
http://users.swing.be/tanks/engins2/245.html

Maximum armour: 25mm.

Compare with Sentinel:
http://www.overkill82.freeserve.co.uk/Sentinel.html
or
http://users.swing.be/tanks/engins2/576.html

Maximum armour: listed as 65mm (though rather more from my own
examination of
the one in the Australian War Memorial)

According to http://salts.britwar.co.uk/salt7.htm
A UK 2 lb would go through 40mm at any range it could hit at.
A 17lb would go through rather more - at least 100mm, often twice that.
" many sources credit the 17-pdr firing APDS with 231mm penetration at
1000
yards
 on armour sloped at 30 deg, but it seems tolerably obvious that this
figure
really
refers to armour at 0 deg. "

The Chi-Ha's gun would penetrate 10mm with luck ( 57mm gun not designed
for
penetrating armour)
, and the Shinhoto's 47mm gun a maximum of 55 mm at zero range.

Prev: RE: [OT] ISO Phil Pournelle Next: RP Trees was Re: [OT] Sea Leopard