Prev: Re: [ds, sg] tech and scratchbuild questions Next: RE: Repair costs and false economies (was Re: Battle blimps)

Re: Blimp Bombing

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 19:00:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Blimp Bombing

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Hudak, Michael wrote:

> Wouldn't the blimps be pretty much a tipoff that there is/will be
activity
> in the area?	Seems like a pretty big warning sign to me.

Sure, if it wandered over your base at 5000ft in daylight...

If our hypothetical airship is at 40,000ft, offset 30nm+ from you,
visually 'stealthed' and nearly radar transparent, you're only going to
suspect it's around when it starts dropping those glide bombs on you!

Nit I need to pick: a 'blimp' is not what we're discussing here. A blimp
is a non-reinforced gasbag with the gondola & engines slung beneath; an
airship/zeppelin/dirigible has reinforcing material - struts, keels,
whatever - that make the envelope/gasbag rigid. The Goodyear thing over
sporting events is a blimp; the Hindenburg was a zeppelin or airship.
Airships can be much, much larger than blimps.

Hindenburg was over 800ft long; modern plans, using composites instead
of
metals, have postulated quite buildable 1000ft long airships! More
trivia:
Everyone 'knows' that airships are dangerous - but the 13 passengers
killed when the Hindenburg went up were the *only* paying passengers
every
killed in an airship accident...

A good book on hypothetical airships is Dean Ing's "The Big Lifters";
it's
near-future science fiction, and a good book in it's own right. Not
military, but the book's dirigible, "Delta One" is a very impressive
piece
of equipment.

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -
- http://wind.prohosting.com/~warbard/games.html -