Prev: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps Next: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 16:17:57 -0400
Subject: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

At 2:48 PM -0500 4/19/02, Allan Goodall wrote:
>They still had problems, though, even with the pressure valve. A number
of
>atmospheric effects could send them upwards, where they had to vent
gas, only
>to have the effect disappear and the ship sink without enough gas to
>stabilize. They were particularly tricky things to fly. The idea posted
here
>that they could stay in the air for weeks is perhaps a bit optimistic.
On the
>other hand, with "gas refueling" airships and such, maybe it could
work.

Granted, but they were getting pretty good at it. I think with modern
composites, better engines (read more HP and Lighter), and advances
in sensor technology (exactly where is that storm cell that will have
the updrafts we want to avoid), a Modern Military rigid could have
quite a bit of hardware and crew for very extended operations.

>I'm not sure a condensor would be much good in the 80,000 to 100,000
feet
>range, though. Not a whole lot of moisture up there...

One of the byproducts from Internal combustion engines is water
vapor. By running that exhaust gas through a condenser you get the
water vapor back in liquid form that is then dumped into your ballast
tanks.

see http://www.lucidcafe.com/library/macon.html

The Macon had capacity for 100 crew (berths, mess area), 5 fighters,
8 engines with vectoring props (backwards or down)

http://www.btinternet.com/~david.manley/naval/genquar/airships.htm
A good size comparison and game stats....
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps Next: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps