Prev: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps Next: Re: Quick question on GMS

Re: Quick question on GMS

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:05:54 EDT
Subject: Re: Quick question on GMS

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:46:35 +0200 Oerjan Ohlson
<oerjan.ohlson@telia.com> writes:
>Brian Bilderback wrote:
>
> >Is it plausible that a GMS should:
> >
> >A) On one hand have an easier time hitting a target at middle ranges
>than
> >at short range, since it has more time to home in on the target;
>
>"Short range" in this case is typically less than 100 meters (ie.,
>well
>inside DS2 "Close Assault" range) for today's missiles, and I'd be
>very
>surprised if it increases in the future - the opposite is rather more
>likely :-/ The arming distance Glenn was talking about is usually even
>
>shorter, BTW (just long enough that a premature explosion shouldn't be
>able
>to harm the ATGM crew).

Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind!

>Longer flight times gives more time for activating countermeasures...
>but
>activating countermeasures too early gives the missile more time for
>counter-countermeasures (or to re-aqcuire the real target, in case of
>"hit/miss"-style countermeasures like decoys - either the missile is
>fooled
>by them or it isn't, but the time of exposure to the decoy/whatever
>isn't
>necessarily important). This is very much part of the "Wiz War", and
>is IMO
>well represented by the ECM-quality-vs-GMS-quality opposed dieroll.

Thanks for putting facts in place of my gut impression.

> >B) on the other hand be easier for ADS to take out the further it
>has to
> >pass through an ADS' zone of fire, since the ADS _ALSO_ gets longer
> >lock in on it?
>
>Plausible but not guaranteed, depending among other things on how well
>the
>missile can use terrain etc. to mask its approach (ref: the "Gently"
>thread).
>
>Later,
>
>Oerjan
>oerjan.ohlson@telia.com
>
>"Life is like a sewer.
>  What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it."
>-Hen3ry

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps Next: Re: Quick question on GMS