Prev: Re: Battle blimps Next: Re: Battle blimps

Re: [ds, sg] tech and scratchbuild questions

From: Katie Lauren Lucas <katie@f...>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:11:25 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Re: [ds, sg] tech and scratchbuild questions

Quoting Roger Books <books@jumpspace.net>:

> On 18-Apr-02 at 07:16, Robert Makowsky (rmakowsky@yahoo.com) wrote:
>
> > It would take a very enlightened military to allow the
> > individual to choose what works best for them.  *Heavy
> > but true sarcasm here*
>
> Do you know how many stupid, worthless, inaffective settings
> your users would pick if allowed to chose their view?  It
> would work great right up until the bozo on watch with the
> strobe setting got everyone killed.  I'd much rather have
> everyone at 100% than 5 guys at 103% and one guy at 30%.

I once worked on this project which involved some client PCs that
tracked
information about the status of patients in theatres. Occaisionally
people, who
presumably were bored with such trivial tasks as "keeping their patient
breathing" or "making sure we take out as many retractors as we put in"
would
fiddle with the settings. Ending up with getting them into states where
they
couldn't see the coloured indicators for minor things like "patient has
blood
clotting condition" and hence a call to support to go "fix" it.

Bear in mind, these are workstations in a sterile environment - one has
scrub up to get at them to use them... this was the point at which user
configurability started to look like a BAD idea.

_______
      Katie Lauren Lucas, Consultant Software Engineer, Parasol
Solutions

Prev: Re: Battle blimps Next: Re: Battle blimps