Prev: Re: [MERCS] Weapons available [FH] Next: Re: Battle blimps

Re: [ds, sg] tech and scratchbuild questions

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:08:26 -0500
Subject: Re: [ds, sg] tech and scratchbuild questions

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:40:29 +1000, Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:

>I was actually inspired to the question by one of Lachy's comments when
we
>found out he's red-green colour blind this week.

As with the others, I'd say that they would have a single setting or
group of
settings, and the user could pick one of them. Of course this is the
future,
so they would probably beam the information straight onto the retina by
way of
a set of goggles (that way you can still have the information if you
chose to
flip up a face shield, or whatever).

Red/green colour blindness is common enough, though, that it should be
taken
into account. Of course I say this while today we still see computer
programs
that ignore the issue. I was fortunate enough to sit beside someone who
was
red-green colour blind when I worked at Kodak. I let him test out some
screens
I'd designed. It was interesting to hear his comments.

What you might want, for your story, is to take another tack. Instead of
the
character having an advantage due to a different setting on his
equipment, you
may want him to have an advantage due to a physical difference. A
natural
advantage, if you would. (A more interesting story might come about if
he
actually had a disadvantage, like red-green colour blindness, and had to
develop other advantages to compensate.)

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"

Prev: Re: [MERCS] Weapons available [FH] Next: Re: Battle blimps