Prev: RE: [DS3] Random mumblings: Capacity system Next: Tank Commanders

Virii + GEV RVs

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 00:04:40 -0400
Subject: Virii + GEV RVs

Virii:
1) I agree with those who say Windoze (pretty
much any flavour) is the key reason most virii
can do a lot of damage. MS' ubiquity makes
their products a target and their focus on
seamless interactivity (especially without your
knowledge) and on function over security has
lead us down a nasty road.
2) I can speak fondly of Pegasus as I have used
it for quite some time now. It is powerful, has a
fair number of features, and is reasonably virus
proof (though I'm sure with plug-ins, that isn't
as true but I don't use any plugins but PGP).
3) Don't believe MIME types. When you see a
file comes in and is reported to be a gif or
jpeg, make sure you see the file name and see
*.gif or *.jpeg then the OS will invoke the
corresponding application which is correct for
that filetype. I've seen virii sent around with a
messed up MIME type that made them look like
GIFs or JPEGs, but they really were .exe files.
Nasty if you aren't on your game.
4) Why should email ever be anything but text?
(or why should it automatically trigger other
interactions with the OS?)
5) I'm now using Opera 6 and I hear tell Mozilla
1.0 is finally out. Both offer reasonably safe
browsing and a lot more control over your own
system (knowing what is going on). Mind you,
some sights (air canada for instance) will give
you grief in Opera. But for some of these sites,
I find (of all things) Lynx will work. Of course,
some only work for IE, but those sights should
be damned for the pussbuckets they represent!
(Me and Adrian have tried to make stargrunt.ca
workable with most browsers... Opera has a
problem which we've fixed but only on the main
page yet... but most browsers can navigate with
minimal issues....).

GEV RVs:
What does a force that is a GEV fast reaction
force use for reconnaisance? You'd think a
hover vehicle would be too darn noisy.
Thoughts from people out there? I want
something that can (from a ground crossing
PoV) keep up with the rest of the GEV force.
Grav is one option, but bound to be expensive.
Could one make a stealthy GEV or is this
oxymoronic?

I'm setting up a DS2 game and this is
something I wondered about.

Tomb.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: RE: [DS3] Random mumblings: Capacity system Next: Tank Commanders