Prev: Re: [SG2] Question: Put Variant Rules in Web Pages? Next: Re: [OT] a clarification of my comments to David (of DLD fame)

Re: [SG2] Question: Put Variant Rules in Web Pages?

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:45:36 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] Question: Put Variant Rules in Web Pages?

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 15:39:07 +0100, Roger Burton West
<roger@firedrake.org>
wrote:

>Yes. HTML is much easier than any of those other formats to convert for
>other uses - for example, as a document on a palmtop. Acrobat Reader
>(for example) is a large, buggy piece of software which certainly isn't
>on every system from which I access the net; HTML, in a pinch, can be
>read manually.

I was going to produce a Palm DOC format document, too. I did a whole
lot of
the work on _Hardtack_ on my Palm using WordSmith. *grin*

>(Also, I'm not sure about RTF, but MS-Word and Acrobat are proprietary
>standards, subject to change at any time. Just ask anyone who's tried
>load old Word files...)

RTF is non-proprietary. It's pretty much standard, which is why I wasn't
going
to put it in HTML. It just doesn't handle certain formatting that Word
and
Acrobat allow.

But you make a very good point about the portability of HTML.

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"