Prev: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea Next: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea

Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:12:17 -0400
Subject: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea

Brian Bilderback wrote:

> Indy wrote:
>
> >Roight then! This c/would explain "slow tracked" and "fast tracked"
(or
> >any "slow/fast") mobility difference then, no?
>
> This, of course, ignores the fact that the Fast Tracked/Slow tracked
method
> of determining a vehicle's BMF is quite artificial:  ALL tracked
vehicles
> have a movement of either 8 or 12?  That never made sense to me....
The
> original proposal, while still flawed, does address the wide variety
of
> speeds that SHOULD be possible.

I think part of it is a granularity issue for the game scale. But I'm
not arguing with you. I would like to see a wider variety of movement
options available (eg, "medium tracked" = 10).

Ryan also chimes in with:

>>...So if you take an
>>essentially "slow velocity" vehicle, change the transmission so its
>>speed can be higher, you've basically just upgraded to "fast
velocity".
>>Just removing the weight isn't going to allow a "slow velocity"
vehicle
>>to reach "fast velocity" speeds (this is my understanding of it, and
>>what I was trying to poorly and inadequately say last night; I'm much
>>better dealing with stellar things ;-)
>
>And in the process you'll be throwing tracks, loosing road wheels and
>all sorts of problems along the way. The differences in suspension
>for certain types of armored vehicles isn't the same. You couldn't
>have dropped a stronger engine into a churchill with a different
>transmission and expected that suspension to handle that kind of
>movement.

Right! I thought there might have been more than simply changing out
the transmission, but my brain wasn't fully engaged (obviously!). My
mind just isn't "geared" to thinking about the mechanics of engines
and stuff (the pun...sorry; it just spilled out). But this just goes
to show simply changing out the armor amounts isn't going to allow
dramatic increases from "slow" to "fast" mobility levels. I'm pre-
suming the whole difference between "slow" and "fast" takes into
account all these little details too small for the game to worry about.

Prev: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea Next: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea