Prev: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea Next: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea

Re: [DS2] Defender/Attacker ratios and fixed defenses

From: John Lambshead <pjdl@n...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:36:01 +0100
Subject: Re: [DS2] Defender/Attacker ratios and fixed defenses

I have seen figures as high as 7:1 quoted to guarantee a breakthrough.

The Lanchester equations square numbers to estimate combat  power so 2:1
is
really 4:1, but it is always difficult to include intangible into the
initial 'count'.

J.

At 13:03 10/04/2002 +0100, you wrote:
> >> Second question, is 3:1 really a reasonable attacker ratio for a
fun
> >> game in DS2 against a prepared defense?
> >>

> >    Oher games I've played suggested a 2:1 attacker:defender ratio.
I guess
> >you're going to have to try it.  3:1 sounds a bit high.  Also depends
on the
> >terrain between the attack and defender.  Are we talking about a mad
rush
> >through open terrain?  Or are we talking about running from hedge to
hedge?

> >    I'd think it would be fun to try both 2:1 and 3:1 just to see how
it
> >plays.
>
> >From what I've read, the 3:1 ratio is the suggested ideal if the
attacker
>wants to ENSURE victory (as far as you ever can, and all other factors
>notwithstanding) by sufficiently overwhelming force. I'd think 2:1
would
>give a better game balance with a chance for either side to win.
>
>Jon (GZG)
> >

> >	       Damo

Dr PJD Lambshead
Head, Nematode Research Group
Department of Zoology
The Natural History Museum
London SW7 5BD, UK.
Tel +44 (0)20 7942 5032
Fax +44 (0)20 7942 5433
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/zoology/home/lambshead.htm
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/zoology/nematode/index.html

What a wonderful thing is the cat! on making it God said "That's that!
Supurrnatural selection has brought us purrfection -
which is a great relief to Me after My earlier mistake with the nematode
worm
(Rowena Sommerville)

Prev: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea Next: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea