Prev: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea Next: RE: [DS] Gently -- Capacity, Points

Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea

From: Randall L Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 00:11:28 -0400
Subject: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea

You're correct in saying that an "engine" (Internal combustion/Turbine
etc)
has a certain torque and mobility output, however these are 1. not set
in
stone, and 2. are not a 1 to 1 correlation to how fast a vehicle can
go.  Finally, 3. acceleration is directly related to mass, if energy is
constant.  Less mass, more acceleration per unit time.	More mass, less
acceleration per unit time.

1.  I can make your "indymobile" perform a _whole_ lot better (okay
faster,
less efficient in almost every other aspect though) through
modifications...  Ripping/changing the exhaust, "turbo" charging or
four-barrel carbs if they're not already on the engine, "Nitro" or other

fast cooling system, reboring your cylinders, etc.  All of these will
directly change the performance and output of your engine.  However,
this
may, or may not, change your top speed or acceleration.  This is where 2

comes in.

2.  Gearing is everything.  If you're gearing is low, like a bull-dozer,
or
Jeep in 4 wheel low, you're going to top out at  speeds of 35 mph (or
lower, I think, for a bulldozer).  But you can literally climb walls
(ok,
low walls), tow insane loads, or push large heavy masses of dirt and
stone.	Instead of speed, your gearing has given you raw power.  On the
flip side, geared the other way, and you can't accelerate much weight
quickly, but your top speeds can be huge...  My jeep can do 90 with the
top
up, and me juicing it the right way (it helps to have a downslope, and
won't work on an upslope) in 4-wheel high gear.

3.  Law of physics.  This doesn't necessarily affect top speed, but the
ability to reach it faster does equate to greater distances travelled
faster, more maneuverability, etc.

Real world examples...
To stay with your racing example...  "Stock" car racing is taking a
"stock"
car, like say a ford Torus, and modifying it without adding anything
(Much... there are certain rules for this, and lot's of limitations, as
understand it's mainly safety gear)...	In order to make them perform
better, they cut as much weight as possible...	There are no back seats,
or
passenger seat, etc.

Mazda Miata vs. their Protege Model...	Same, exact engine.  Protege was

the 4-door frame (and about 500 pounts heavier).  The Miata, designed to

hot-rod, was beating Porshe 911's in most all tests that they were
pitted
against each other in.	The Protege doesn't hold a candle (although can
beat a ill driven Mustang 5.0 in a quater mile...  I made 50 bucks when
was 18 (and stupid) and drag racing).

There _are_ factors that would restrict top speeds, for instance, to
little
weight can affect handling making a car less able to grip the road
(usually
because weight was removed that changed the center of gravity placing it
high for the vehicle...) or safely do high to mid speed maneuvers.  The
infamous SUV roll-overs as an example.

Another fun one is wind resistance...  My Jeep as an example.  You could

drop all the weight you wanted, changed the gearing to all kinds of fun,

but you're not liable to make my flying brick fly much faster without
changing the aerodynamics.

And I won't touch electric motors, which "don't need" gearing (even I
find
that hard to swallow after a point) and just spin at whatever RPM's are
needed.

Alright, enough real-world stuff...
To bring this back to the original thread.  It is perfectly right, in
reality, using physical motive systems as they exist today, to say that
lightly armored vehicle can have better speeds and acceleration than the

same vehicle with more armor.  The gearing would have to change, but
this
isn't that difficult and should be no more expensive in either
direction,
and in fact could be a fairly simple field modification if a vehicle is
built right.  Even with GEV or full flight vehicles, this would still be
an
issue...  Thrust to weight ratio's make or break modern military
aircraft,
and are a way of measuring potential maneuverability of an aircraft.

Rand.