Prev: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea Next: Re: SOME MORE BOOKS TO READ.

Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea

From: Dances With Rocks <kochte@s...>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 21:37:15 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Robin Paul wrote:

> A while ago, I thought of this as a simple way to provide an incentive
for
> DS2 vehicles with less than maximal armour:

[...]
> How about giving ground vehicles one extra movement point for being
one
> level below maximum armour, 2 MP for being two levels below maximum,
and
> also one or two extra movement points for being open topped?

[...]
> This would enable an increase in the _relative_ mobility of cheaper
mobility
> classes, and perhaps encourage the use of real light scout vehicles
and
> thinly armoured SP artillery and tank destroyers.

[...]
> A Sexton or Priest SPG could be Size 3, Armour 1, open topped, with
Slow
> Tracked mobility giving 11MF instead of the current 8 and letting it
keep up
> with the tanks using a cheaper mobility class.  Basic cost would be 22
> points.  Under the current rules the same hull with Fast Tracked
mobility
> would have 12MF but cost 25 points.

This just feels...wrong. I'm not able to see how you can have something
that's nominally "slow tracked" be cooking along at just about the same
speed as "fast tracked". The way I understand engines (and I'll be the
first to admit I'm no mechanic ;-) is that they have a certain torque
and
mobility output and whatnot (the "whatnot" part is my non-mechanic lack-
of-jargon portion of the understanding ;-), and you can't make 'em go
faster than they are designed to go. I mean, a bulldozer is not going to
go much faster than it already does if you strip off all the heavy
weight
attached to it. My Indymobile is not going to keep up with Nascar
vehicles
no matter how much I strip off the car (I can get up to 90 mph on a 7%
grade and 7 miles of uncontested road in front of me - 95 if there's a
stiff wind at my back ;-). I think the "mobility" factor is a limit to
how much an engine on a particular vehicle can move said vehicle.

Sorry, Rob, the idea just doesn't feel right.  :-/

Prev: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea Next: Re: SOME MORE BOOKS TO READ.