Prev: RE: Vehicle classes Next: Re: Wet Palette was >>-->Re: Stuart's Painting Tips

Re: Vehicle classes

From: Tony Francis <tony.francis@k...>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 16:13:51 +0100
Subject: Re: Vehicle classes

Ryan Gill wrote:

> At 11:01 AM +0100 4/8/02, Tony Francis wrote:
> >
> >Others which are a bit subjective, depending on your view of size
> >classes :
> >
> >Panzer I (two MGs on a class-1 vehicle)
>
> I'd say a Panzer I is closer to size 2. Not so much based on the foot
> print but the volume too.
>
> >Any very small (ie class-1) tank with a main gun and co-ax MG
>
> Renault FTs could be a class 1, but I'd go up a bit to class 2.
>
> >British A9 cruiser (2-pdr, co-ax MG, two independent turreted MG -
> >probably a class-3 vehicle)
> >M3 Lee (37mm, 75mm, co-ax MG, turreted MG, bow MG - probably class-3
> >possibly -4)
> >M8 Greyhound (37mm, co-ax MG, AA HMG - class-1 maybe -2)
> >etc.
>
> I pretty much put jeep sized vehicles at class 1. Class 2 fits most
> smaller armored vehicles. A M151 is small. It can carry a single MG
> or if you really want to beef it up, a bit of extra MGs and kit in
> the case of the Fast Attack version of the M151 that one MEU put
> together.
>
> Tanks and Armored cars tend to be taller. A dingo would be a 1, but a
> ferret a 2. I say this based on the Ferret's ability in the Mk2
> version to carry 3 people and its taller form. The Fox is definitely
> a class 2. Luchs I rate as class 3.

Based on capability, a three man Ferret with an MG is still only a class
one vehicle. Three passengers only require three capacity points and
(strictly speaking) crew don't require any space at all - they're built
into the requirements for the weapon. DS2 isn't granular enough to
differentiate between a 2-man scout car with MG (Dingo) and a three man
one with an MG (Ferret). I'd still make both class-1 vehicles.

> Sherman variants I'd put in the class 3 or 4 size, those suckers are
> tall. Greyhound class 2-3. Hard to say. I'd have to walk around the
> real thing a bit more. Saladin's are definitely class 3.
>
> Abrams goes to class 4. M88, I'd say class 4 as well.
>
> When deciding size for a vehicle, I try to look at it's volume for the
basis.

I don't think I'd ever rate a Sherman and M-1 as the same size class !!

Looking at volumes, the basic Sherman is 5.9m x 2.6m x 2.7m - so a crate
big enough to hold one would have a volume of 41m^3. The M-1 is 7.9m x
3.7m x 2.4m , volume 70m^3 (and the gun would stick out the end of the
crate !).

Tony

Tony Francis
Senior Software Engineer

Prev: RE: Vehicle classes Next: Re: Wet Palette was >>-->Re: Stuart's Painting Tips