Prev: Re: Heavy Gear was RE: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh) Next: Re: DESK points and game balancing

Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (Merkavas)

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@e...>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 13:38:50 -0700
Subject: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (Merkavas)

I love a challenge. Let's see stats for an M1-A3 and I'll see how bad my

Merkava attempts look.

I can see two DS2 issues that impacts the Merkava implementation:

1. Some Merkava versions (all?) allow for removing about half of the
main gun ammo in favor of stretchers or a dismount team (making the
Merkava the perfect IFV).
2. The forward mounted engine helps minimize crew casualties on
penetrating hits through the front armor. there are also some
maintennance benefits (iirc), as the deck armor lifts off to allow for
engine access - without pulling the turret too (this may have been a
different tank, it's been a while); that's still a crane job, but the
depot folks would rather not mess with a functioning turret and makes it

possible to replace engines at improvised repair points and maybe even
truly in the field. [1]

In the first case, DS2 doesn't track ammo, the system simply isn't that
detailed. In the real world ammo stowage is a major design problem, even

Hammer's Slammers MBTs have ammo issues. The Merkava shows that 45 120mm

rounds are equivalent in Capacity Points to one stand of infantry or a
stretcher stand (hypothetical but reasonable unit type). The clamshell
doors also allow for rapid field resupply and also don't show up in DS2.

In the second case vehicle crew casualties aren't tracked in DS2,
another granularity issue. Likewise, resupply isn't an issue at the
chosen scale (although a Merkava could reload in 3 turns instead of 9 if

my numbers are right for 10 minute turns). Even Striker doesn't address
resupply ergonomics as a design factor. And ASL is vague about the
number of people comprising a Crew counter.

So two major differences between the Merkava and other first line MBTs
just don't show up in DS2, so the design system doesn't need to account
for them and the system doesn't support them by design. I wouldn't be
surprised if a DS2 Merkava doesn't wind up looking a whole lot like an
M1, where the Striker Merkava would show a lot more difference.

[1] If the engine swap on a mobility-killed Merkava is the main repair,
leaving the hole in the front armor... How big is that hole and how
compromised is the armor protection. That's s serious advantage if a
Merkava can take a round through the front slope, have the engine
replaced and be back on operation an hour (it never take the book time
in the field, the penetrator had to damage something not being swapped
out) after a spare engine and a crane show up. A 120mm round is throwing

a ~50-75mm sabot, so the entry hole won't be THAT huge.