Prev: Re: SCOUTS OUT! Next: Power projection in very high tech warfare

Re: DS3 points systems and features

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@e...>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 18:57:51 -0800
Subject: Re: DS3 points systems and features

The Silhouette system is pretty flexible. They do WW2 to Universal
Century0083 (Gundams), in fact Gear Krieg is fourth on my list of 15mm
projects. Within its boundaries (remmeber, the envelope always pushes
back) it's pretty fast playing and very much of a "design for effect"
game. This last does cause some realism glithces in that you can work
with breakpoints and that it's a relative value system. But if a King
Tiger has the best armor in the game and very few weapons can kill it,
then it works well enough.

But units from another Silhouette system game can be mixed
'realistically'  into Gear Krieg because they all share the same
absolute scale. An exo from Lightning Strike (a very nice game system)
is rated on the same scale that a Panzer Mk III is.

DSII is also a design for effect system, but it uses a relative scale.
It works for WW2 for the same reasons that Gear Krieg works.But keep in
mind that DS2 has a much smaller range of values than Silhouette does.
DS2 can do WW2 or it can do grav tanks but it can't mix both. It works
for almost any set of technological assumptions provided all sides share

those same assumptions.

What would be Really Neat in DS3 is a set of rules for designing a set
of technological assumption for different genres. To let units from
different genres mix you'd have to have to have an absolute scale. But
that way lies Striker. [1]. Actually, DS2 reminds me a lot of Striker
and especially the Command Decision games. It has a lot of flavor of
Striker-with-simpler-mechanics. By the time Striker 2 came out, much of
its target audience, sci-fi microarmor, was already a GZG customer.

And Striker was much more of a sim than a game. Rating all the Zhodani
and Imperial units in the game for DS2 would take an afternoon, and play

much faster.Mind you, Striker 2 looks like everyone who played it was a
 WW2 or Moderns player, because I can think of a LOT of interesting
things to do with grav tanks that the rules don't even hint at [2].

[1] Or GURPS Vehicles, which is even worse since they have mixed genres
as a primary design goal.

[2] For starters, orbital weapons fire is highly abstract. But Zhodani
MBTs have lasers that can engage the smaller starships with direct
fire..